Followers

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Leaky Waders

Sometime in the late 14th century, Geoffrey Chaucer coined the phrase, "But at the laste, as every thing hath ende."  You probably recognize it better as "all good things must come to an end."  And, for the most part, it's true.  The Atlanta Braves had an unprecedented run of division titles, but it ended at a major league record 14 years.  And they don't look likely to win any more any time soon.  Star Wars has been one of the most successful movie franchises of all time, but you know there had to be a Last Jedi eventually.  Ford produced the best selling compact pickup of all time, the Ranger, for 28 years before finally putting the little work horse out to pasture.  And today, I said goodbye to my favorite pair of waders.  

I bought them back in 2003 in Bob Ward's in Bozeman, Montana.  I was with some buddies on a fishing trip and Bob Ward's was having a clearance on some of their fishing gear.  They were Hodgman Wadelite breathable stockingfoot hip waders and from that trip forward, they were my favorite waders.  I have a pair of Orvis chest waders that cost three times as much, but those Hodgmans were my standard.  I preferred them over everything else.  They were quick to put on and take off.  They allowed total range of motion and freedom when bushwhacking and boulder crawling.  They were the perfect gear for when the weather is too hot for chest waders but water is too cold for wet wading.



My favorite waders and me on the second meadow of Slough Creek



Like a good dog, they went with me everywhere.  Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia, I wore them on little speck creeks all the way up to the Yellowstone river.  I've fished some legendary waters in these waders.  And like when an old dog dies, I'm pretty bummed to have to put them down.  They don't make them anymore.  

I knew this day was coming.  I've worn them every summer for 15 years.  I've patched holes, trying to delay the inevitable, but I feel like the little Dutch boy trying to stem the flood.  Too many recent trips, I've come home with squishy socks.  I suppose I'll try to find a replacement.  Chota makes a model that looks like it might fit the bill.  I doubt I'll throw these old ones away.  I'll probably keep them around, just for old times' sake.



No comments:

Post a Comment