Followers

Friday, January 26, 2018

First Fish

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it"
Proverbs 22:6  KJV

I don't know what was on his mind when he wrote Proverbs 22:6, but I'd like to think that King Solomon's advice can be applied not only to the statutes of the Lord, but to outdoor pursuits as well.  I don't remember my first fish, but some of my earliest memories are from the realm of fishing.  

My parents have a picture of me when I was around five or six years old, standing on the front porch with a rod and reel and what appears to be about a three pound carp I caught in the creek that bordered our farm.  I can also remember pitching a fit (I honestly do remember this) when I was no more than four years old;  the whole family had been fishing a neighbor's pond and my cousin Jody caught a large bass.  I didn't think it was fair that he caught one and I hadn't.  When it came time to leave, I wasn't happy about having to leave without a big bass of my own.  

I can remember fighting to stay awake on all-night crappie fishing trips with my parents.  Dad hung Coleman lanterns over the side of the boat to attract baitfish and we would fish all night.  Of course, I never made it all night before falling asleep.  Dad would bundle me up and lay me out of the way and keep on fishing.  More than 30 years later, I can vividly remember the hiss of the lanterns and the odor of burning moths attracted to the hot flame.  

For a young boy growing up in the mountains of north Georgia with either a rifle or a rod and reel in my hand, I had plenty of opportunities to develop a deep love and appreciation for the outdoors.  Now that I have children of my own, I want to give them the same opportunities.

One beautiful October morning found me at home with the kids and wondering how to spend the day.  The weather had been cool and deer season was open, so I figured there wouldn't be many fishermen on the trout streams.  I packed us a picnic lunch and pointed the truck towards Rock creek and the fish hatchery for a chance at some easy fish.  

When we pulled into the parking lot, I saw a father and son fishing the creek that flows around and through the hatchery, but more importantly, I saw a friend of mine that works for the hatchery, cleaning the raceways.  When he saw us, he came over to speak to the kids.  When he found out that it was their first time to the hatchery, he gave them some feed in a bucket and sent us to feed some of the big brooders.






After receiving the VIP treatment in our tour of the hatchery, I took the kids down to the creek to try our hand at some rainbows.  Being October, the hatchery hadn't done much stocking, so I figured we would be fortunate to find any trout.

Wanting to keep things as simple as possible for my young fishermen, I molded a ball of Berkley Powerbait around a tiny treble hook and tossed it into the current.  Kaylee was up first.  Being the oldest sibling has its perks.  On the second or third cast, I felt that old, familiar bump on the end of the line.  I set the hook and handed her the rod.

There's nothing like a fish to put a smile on a kid's face



Layla was up next and it was only a few casts until once again, we had a fish on.




Finally, Coleman got his turn.  I had to fish pretty hard before we ever hooked up, but daddy scored one for his little boy.



It is my hope and my prayer that one day, my children will look back on a lifetime spent in the great outdoors and remember these trips with their dad the same way I remember mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment